Thursday, December 18, 2008

Playgroup Picture

Today was a nice, relaxing day. I am really enjoying baking this year. I baked the Chrabeli cookies this morning and this evening I made Saltine Toffee Cookies. I am looking forward to sharing these with friends on Christmas Eve. So, baking is going good...but not sure about getting Christmas cards out this year. Maybe they will turn into New Years Cards. Or maybe an internet card. Or maybe nothing at all. As much as I like doing cards, I am feeling a bit of pressure now that I didn't get them out significantly earlier in the month. Then, it isn't as much fun to do them.

This afternoon was playgroup for James. All the kids in the playgroup are boys except for one girl, who wasn't able to attend this meeting. It will be fun watching them grow up together. They are already doing so much more than when we first started meeting. There were at least three crawlers this week, and more to be coming!




From left to right: Ryan, Stephen, Phoenix, Connor, James, Dylan and Trevor

Saltine Toffee Cookies

4-5 ounces saltine crackers
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers, salt side down, in a single layer. In a saucepan combine the sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

3 comments:

The Shafer's said...

That is such a cute picture! Playgroups are so much fun and I just love how you are such a baker!! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! What an adorable picture! It just makes you want to go up and snuggle with all of them!

Happy to hear you are enjoying the baking season - ready to come over and learn to make some bread??? hee hee

I wish I could figure out how to bake and not gain weight!

Andrea said...

How to bake and not gain weight....eat grapes and drink lots of water while baking and then invite a whole bunch of people over to eat the goodies and be too busy talking and hostessing to eat many of the treats. At least that is my plan!

Bread...now that may be a problem in terms of weight gain...I could eat bread all the time. I would love to learn to make rolls and other bread items. I have a neglected bread maker that every now and then gets to see the light of day.