Saturday, December 13, 2008

Expectations

Expectations. This is where I find I have the most trouble. My expectations do not always match up with reality and that is where I fall down. My attitude, my thoughts, my words, my actions, most of the time, they all go into the gutter. I need to stop myself from going down that path but I don't always know how.

On to another subject. I just finished reading the book "The Shack" for bookgroup tomorrow and I am very curious to hear what other people think. I am always wary of books that people say are must reads and seem to be the popular book of the day. I was pleasantly surprised with this book- a relatively easy read but one that had a lot of different thoughts to ponder. It is a decidedly Christian book with a unique way of presenting not only the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit), but also of pointing out a different perspective than the world's point of view. Living out life according to God's priorities can seem topsy turvy compared to the world's priorities.

And, in the world of cooking, we started making Christmas cookies today. We made a double batch of Chocolate Crackle Cookies. Maria, William and I made the dough, and then Maria and William actually formed and baked the cookies. Yum!

Chocolate Crackles
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup salad oil
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 cup flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup or so of powdered sugar

Melt chocolate. Beat with sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add vanilla. Combine flour, backing powder and salt. Add to chocolate mixture. Chill dough. Make small balls of dough, about 1 inch diameter. Roll spheres in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on rack.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am loving the recipes, I will definitely be trying this one out.