Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Cookies

I had a great day today. I went out to lunch with my hubby, made two different kinds of cookies, went to a holiday gathering, and finished the book "Breaking Dawn," one of the books in the Twilight series.

I also just sent out an invite to join us at our house on Christmas Eve for an Open House...so now I am motivated to make even more cookies! Today I made Oreo Truffles (not really a cookie, but yummy) and I did the first stage of Chrabeli, a Swiss anise cookie that I grew up eating a Christmas time. Those will go in the oven tomorrow morning after sitting out all night. Who knows what will cookies will be baked next!

I made a super simple dinner tonight Barbecue Chicken Casserole since I had all the ingredients in the house. Quick, easy, and the whole family loves it. What more could I ask for! Plus, I am trying to cook the things that are in the refrigerator because I know we will be needing room to store cookies and treats.

Chrabeli
9 eggs, room temperature
1,000 grams powdered sugar
pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons anise seed, lightly toasted in skillet
1,000 grams flour

Beat eggs, then beat in powdered sugar until frothy. Add salt and anise seed. Add flour in slowly. Dough will be very dry. Take a fistful of dough and roll into about 3/4 inch tubes. Cut into about 2-3 inch sections. Cut three diagonal slits into one side of each piece. Bend the cookies to open the slits, flaring out the cuts. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Let sit overnight. Cook at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Have oven door slightly ajar. Stick something metal like a garlic press in the opening.

No comments: