Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bookclub

Just got home from a great evening with one of my bookclubs. We discussed The Shack and it seemed that of the people that read it, most liked it. There was a lot of good topics to discuss in and through this book. There are a variety of beliefs and backgrounds of people in the group and I thought it was neat to hear other people's perspective.

I finished The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein yesterday and while I am not overly fond of memoirs, this one was very well written and a fascinating story of a Jewish boy growing up in England during World War I, and how one side of the street was Jewish and the other side of the street was Christian.

I made an Antipasto Salad to share at bookclub. This is getting to be one of my signature dishes to bring to potlucks: yummy, easy to transport, good for groups. I originally got the recipe from AllRecipes.com, but have modified it.

On a totally different note, may I suggest a great website: http://www.thebricktestament.com/index.html. We have two of his books, and they are a riot. The Bible, illustrated with Lego figures. Enough said.

Antipasto Salad

2 small bags or 1 large bag of lettuce with carrots
8 ounces hard salami, julienned (you can also substitute or add pepperoni)
1.5-2 bags shredded Italian Blend cheese (or mozzarella/provolone/etc.)
2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 can pitted ripe olives , drained, halved
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
Place lettuce on a large serving platter. Put salami, cheese, tomato and olives on top. In a blender, combine remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Drizzle over salad.

1 comment:

wedogmomma said...

A) I am Loving the bricktestament books...I SO have to track one of those down...
b) I'm really appreciating the Shack..though I have about 25 pages to go...(I'm slumping under Christmas prep)...can you mentally file your book club conversations and meet up with me on this one in 2009!?!?
c) You and your blog rock....thanks for the recipe....

ah, how is that for orderly commenting...I feel organized if only in this small slice of my day ;)