Friday, January 9, 2009

Bookclubs

I like to read. A lot. I can't imagine life without books. Or the library. I am part of four bookclubs, which rarely meet at the same time. But this month three of them are on the same weekend. I typically try to read the book right before bookclub, but I now need to get a move on three books before next weekend. The first book is Jimmy by Robert Whitlow for Saturday, the next is The Human Comedy by William Saroyan for Sunday and the last is The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper for Monday. I love meeting with other people that enjoy books and I also get exposed to books I wouldn't have necessarily read on my own.

Here is an excerpt from The Human Comedy, page 17: "You must remember," she said, "always to give, of everything you have. You must give foolishly even. You must be extravagant. You must give to all who come into your life. Then nothing and no one shall have the power to cheat you of anything, for if you give to a thief, he cannot steal from you, and he himself is then no longer a thief. And the more you give, the more you will have to give."

This is challenging....made me stop and ponder what I give, what I give freely, and what I hold on to, let alone what I cling to.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

I am copying that and making something with it - I don't know what yet but something - if nothing else it will go in my journal - what a perfect excerpt to share!

I have full confidence in you to finish all three books - I have been watching when you finish your books - you are a MAD reader! I do think you need to add when you start them so that an accurate timeline can be shown! LOL!

Thanks for sharing!

wedogmomma said...

ooooo....I meant to ask you this week...I SO need a recreational book to read. Would you recommend that one? I LOVE the excerpt!
Did you find it at the library?
Are you going to read the Anne Rice one as well?

Annabelle said...

That excerpt seems to sum up how you live, Andrea! You certainly give a lot!

Stef said...

you must love reading! for me, its a challenge... so i joined the book club to be challenged. :)
you didn't mention the book we're doing with Amy and Heather's club... are you not coming to that one?

See you Wednesday!

Andrea said...

I only listed the three books that I had to read this week....done with 1, halfway through another, and just got the third. I absolutely plan on reading the Anne Rice one...just that isn't for a few more weeks!