Monday, February 9, 2009

What would you choose?

I just finished the book Still Alice by Lisa Genova. What a moving novel about a lady who discovers she has early-onset Alzheimer's disease and the journey this takes her on. It sure made me think about how easy it is to be complacent in my knowledge and abilities, and to realize that there really are no guarantees. In the novel Alice has three children, and as early-onset Alzheimer's disease is genetic, her children have the option to be tested. Two of them choose to be tested- one was positive and one was negative. The third choose not to find out. That made me ponder what I would choose....would I want to know, given there was a 50/50 chance of me having the disease, or would I prefer to go about life without knowing. Hmmm....not sure. That is a hard thing to consider. So, what would you choose- to know or not to know?

3 comments:

wedogmomma said...

I would choose to know....because I like sympathy....and I'd love having an excuse for being forgetful....I don't mean to sound flippant...but that's my moment of honesty....

I would play that part of m ylife out....on my knees, as my cross to bear, but also as my kick in the butt to do as much for Christ NOW as is humanly possible.

Annabelle said...

Hmm. If, once Alheimers set in, you were completely oblivious, not knowing might be the way to go. But if you slowly realize that something was wrong, I think I'd want to know ahead of time, to prepare for it.

Sonya said...

This is a subject that is on my mind more often than I care...my grandmother had this disease and I sometimes fear that the gene may have been passed on. So, to answer your question...I would want to know so that I could take measures to slow down, or help in dealing with it.