Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daily Life

I have been doing some gardening....weeding and planting and pruning and all that good stuff. It certainly is starting to feel like spring, even though that isn't for a little bit. But, as nice as the weather has been, I would still like some more rain. Good for the gardens, good for the reservoirs, good all around.

Tonight I grilled asparagus for the first time on the bbq and boy were they yummy. I think I will be doing that more often! It is fun trying new things out on the grill. I have made Naan bread on the grill before...which reminds me I should do that again soon. My mouth watered when I typed it.

We are currently hosting someone from back East for a few nights named David. He is currently working on translating the Bible into one of the Chadian languages. He had stayed with us a number of years back so it is great to have him here again. Tomorrow we are hosting another couple who will be doing work overseas....if anyone wants to come over, have some soup, cornbread and dessert, let me know. Everyone welcome.

James is now 10 months old. On one hand it is astonishing to me that he has already been in our lives for that long and on the other hand I can not imagine what my life would have been without him. I am so enjoying my time with him and just doing more at home in general. Funny how life's twists and turns brings you to various places. I am very grateful and content where I am at right now, but don't want to grow complacent either.

So, since it has been more than a week since my last posting, let me re-cap what we have been doing. CBS, had Amy over for impromptu lunch of lasagna leftovers (like the alliteration?), playgroup (2x), James' first Babysigns class, kids portraits taken, shuttling Maria and William back and forth to and from church for various different events, small group (a whopping 15 people showed), Kindermusik Storytime, walk with Holly, date with Ken (make that 2 dates with Ken), Babysign Storytime, and I am sure there were other things too. But, in this there was a lot of nice downtime where I was able to get caught up on laundry, make some nice meals, go grocery shopping, garden, buy birthday gifts, purchase and plan swing for outside, read books, watch some videos, and play on the floor with James. Nice when life is pretty even-keeled. No sickies in our house, no crises, no emotional swings high or low. Gotta love it and embrace it while it is here. Who knows what tomorrow holds!

2 comments:

Maritez said...

Love that state of mind...embrace those even-keeled moments, never know what tomorrow brings! You are absolutely right :) Sounds like you still had a lot going on though. I love how open and welcoming your home is, I always hoped mine would be that way....still working on just letting people in, no matter what kind of notice I have or what state my house is in, or whatever! I am envious of your date nights though, like I was telling you on Saturday...Wil mocked me when I suggested that we wait till Josiah is 13 and can stay home without us before we start having regular dates ;)

Stef said...

I love the way you write, Andrea! And my mouth watered when you wrote about the asparagus. For some odd reason, it lulled me to the kitchen cupboard and grabbed graham crackers to fix my craving. Remember this morning when you said you keep going back to the same cupboard, expecting the options to magically change and then finally settling on something that at first looked... ug? Yeah. That's what I did.

Maritez. I'm with you on the "opening my house up, no matter what kind of state its in." I think I let go a lot when Kara was born. I was happy to have meals and visitors, so I had to just get over the issues and *try* to be welcoming. Hopefully I was. :)